Friends of the Bend Libraries
We incorporated as a non-profit in 1980, believing then, as we do now, that a strong library is a cultural and economic asset to the entire Bend community. The FOBL is an all-volunteer organization, with 100% of our project funding used to improve the literacy and library services offered to the people of Bend.
We contributed to the construction of the Downtown Branch (built in 1999) and provided funding for the East Branch (opened in 2011), along with assisting in the passage of the bond measure which created the DPL District. To raise these donations, our volunteers hold quarterly book sales, operate a small gift/used bookstore (called The Friendshop), and encourage support through yearly memberships.
Do you have questions or suggestions for us? Please contact us at 541-617-7047 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can't check out the eBook you want???
Have you tried checking out an eBook lately and you can't find it on the Library site?
That's because not all eBooks or audio books are available for purchase by libraries. It's not just the DPL having this problem. Some of the largest publishers have chosen not to sell eBooks or audio books to libraries.
If you don't see a popular or best-selling title in the DPL Digital Downloads, it isn't because the DPL overlooked it. The eBook or audio book isn't there because the DPL was unable to purchase it.
The DPL and groups like the American Library Association have met with the largest publishers and advocated for fair access to eBooks for libraries.
What can you do about this? The FOBL encourages you to visit the folowing DPL website for information on how you can advocate to publishers that they provide the DPL access to ALL eBooks.
You can also view the American Library Association's "E-books and Libraries FAQ" (http://goo.gl/tCPpp) for more information about the largest publishers, some of the authors they represent, and whether or not they sell eBooks to libraries.
RECENT FUNDRAISING RESULTS:
These goals were met due to the volunteer labor of our membership, working on many fundraising events. Their efforts are very much appreciated!
- Provided furniture and shelving for the 2011 Opening of the East Branch's Children's Department ($38,000).
- Provided new leather chairs for Downtown Teen Department in 2011 ($1,000).
- Installed and stocked new Self-Serve Book Sale Shelves at the East Branch ($1,200).
- Annual sponsorship of Novel Idea Community Read Program.
- Annual Contribution to District-Wide Library Materials Budget ($12,000 for 2011 & $16,440 for 2012).
- Annual sponsorship of the Summer Reading Program for both Bend Branches: Teen and Adult.
- April 2012 Sponsorship of the Oregon Library Association Conference in Bend.
Interested in exhibiting your art at the Bend library?